Friday, August 22, 2008

Retarded Policeman


click here if you cannot view the above video
The Retarded Policeman series ended up holding more than a passing interest to me. It's the first time I have seen an actor (Josh Perry) who actually has Down Syndrome. He follows in the footsteps of Chris Burke, perhaps the most famous Down Syndrome actor (he played Corky on the American television series Life Goes On).

The Retarded Policeman videos are tasteless on many levels, and they have offended many. For his part, Perry has made a couple of other YouTube videos just to publicly explain that he is a professional actor who is aware of his actions and knows what he is doing. I'm not sure where I stand on this topic. Is it alright for a black man to call another black man a nigger? Is it racist for Greek comedian Nick Giannopoulos to star in a movie called Wog Boy? All I know is, in this particular instance, the series is funny, has good comic timing, and is truly empowering Josh Perry, while in effect making fun of the LA Police stereotypes. You decide...and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment